Many people are very skeptical of the suggestion that water can play very effective role in helping them achieve weight loss. The minimum daily recommended water intake is 2 liters, because this is how much water the body uses throughout the day through sweating, urination and other bodily functions. Without replenishing lost water, the body goes into dehydration and all functions start to suffer, which is why dieting professionals recommend abstaining from food, but never from water.
Of course, drinking water alone is not going to help you lose weight. If you desire to lose weight in a gradual but sure way, eating right and drinking right are the two major components of the natural weight loss method.
EATING RIGHT FOOD
1. Eat "good fats" that provide essential fatty acids like Salmon, Mackerel, Herrings, and Sardines. They help regulate blood pressure, prevent blood clotting and lower risk of heart failure.
2. Eat good proteins that help you in suppressing cravings for food. They are essential in building muscles. Low fat milk products such as skimmed milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, and fish are "good" proteins.
3. Carbohydrates such as beans, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains are consumed by the body slowly and hence they are natural hunger-suppressants. They are also moderate on fats and calories.
4. Eat adequate fiber food. Good fiber foods do not contribute much of calories and they are filling. They thus help in suppressing hunger. Apples, figs, broccoli, strawberries, brown rice, beans, bran and nuts are good fiber foods.
DRINKING WATER AND WEIGHT LOSS
Water plays two important roles in helping you lose weight. Cravings for food are felt when the body dehydrates; if water is consumed in reasonable and adequate measure it suppresses hunger pangs. Liver provides stored fats for energy; water helps metabolism allowing kidneys to flush out waste. Many people will find it surprising that drinking cold water can burn the extra fat in the body; if you drink ice cold water it uses over 60 calories a day from the body - thus the body has to burn over 420 calories a week to raise the temperature of the ice cold water to the body temperature. What a way to beat that excess fat!
- The metabolism is dependent on water to work properly. Without enough water, the process of breaking food down and converting it to energy slows down dramatically. If you're dieting and you seem to have hit the plateau, then you are probably not drinking enough water. When the metabolism slows down, weight loss slows down even more dramatically, especially since exercising becomes less effective as the body's energy levels diminish.
- Water also plays an important part in the process of digestion and elimination of residues. Poor digestion means that you will not get enough energy from the food you're eating. This will prompt the body to ask for more food and this is how the weight loss process stops and the weight gain process begins. A dehydrated body sends out fake hunger pangs, thus tempting you to forget about the diet and eat more food than you should.
- Water is a good filler. If you want to eat less food, drink a tall glass of water half an hour before every meal. The water will fill a large part of your stomach and the body will be content to feel that the stomach is not empty.
As we see here water plays an important role in weight loss. It is a natural appetite suppressant, it helps in dieting and generally a major component in natural weight loss practice.